Tuesday, May 1, 2012

17 Bathroom Breaks Later


Y’all, I’m just saying that 5 days is a lot of days to sit in a car. Especially when you have to stop all. the. time. to go to the bathroom*. That said, we made the most of The Great Cross-Country Road Trip Babymoon Adventure and we are now settling in to our temporary digs in Austin. 
All in all the move itself went well. We hit the road and spent the first night  in Joshua Tree, CA where we got to stretch our legs and play on the rocks in the park. We also got to spend a little bit of time with friends in Phoenix and then made another detour to see family. We made a very special stop in West Texas in the little town where my grandparents lived and my dad grew up. It was fun to show Matt the places where I played and to relive so many amazing childhood memories.
We eventually made it into Austin (did I mention it took FIVE days?) and in the past 48 hours we moved into the rental (which would be really cool if it didn’t smell a little funky), started house hunting, bought a new (to us) car (we donated the on-its-last-leg Jeep before me moved) and sent me back to work in the real world. No wonder I’m tired and jonesing for a vacation from my “vacation.”
So, yeah. It’s all good. I’m still not so sure about the whole getting up and putting on real clothes and makeup to work, but I’m adjusting and hope to get back into the routine without too much grumbling. (Well, I guess it’s really Matt who hopes the grumbling dies down.)
I should add that Bacon endured the trip well. We’re 19 weeks today--almost half way! To mark the occasion s/he started kicking hard enough for me to feel it from the outside. Really hoping Matt gets the chance to feel this little kung fu fighter soon!

* Fun fact: We really did stop 17 times to use the bathroom. I’m more than happy to report that only one of those facilities made me want to hurl. Bonus fun fact--gas dropped $.60 per gallon as we headed east. I’ll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment