Sunday, April 22, 2012

East Bound and Down


The time has come to say goodbye to Sonoma. So many people have asked me why I would possibly ever leave this corner of paradise and I can’t blame them. Living here is like living in a Norman Rockwell painting. Gorgeous scenery. Small town charm. Amazing food. And, of course, the wine.
The last year here has been one long honeymoon. From summer weekends spent poolside drinking bubbles, to hikes that kicked my butt but always delivered on the view from the top, to nights spent at our house enjoying dinner parties with Matt’s amazing cooking and a seemingly endless supply of delicious wine, to weekends out at the coast. We have been so beyond lucky to get to live in such a place. 

I will miss being able to walk everywhere. I will miss the common bond of an ag community. I will miss friends who became dear in a short time. I will miss the amazing Farmer’s Market on the square on Tuesday nights during the summer. I will miss watching the life cycle of the vines as they bud and bloom and are harvested. I will miss the smell of wine fermenting in the fall. I will miss the hustle and bustle around town as tourists come through on their wine country get aways. I will even miss our spin class at the gym where we’re “the power couple” because we’re 20 years younger than everyone else in the class. And did I mention the wine?
We’ll be back of course. California is in our blood now--especially Matt who’s spent most of the past decade here. We’ll bring baby Bacon back some day and tell him or her that this was where we fell in love from the moment we found out I was pregnant. We’ll come back and visit the place where we said our “I do’s.” We’ll come back for the wine.
We’re very excited about the next chapter and can’t wait to get to Austin and see what’s going to happen next. So we’re off. The movers arrive in the morning and “The Great Babymoon Cross-country Road Trip Adventure” starts on Tuesday as we make the most of a long few days in the car.
We took a hike today to the spot where we got engaged and I snapped this photo on my phone. 


Thank you, Sonoma, for everything. We’ve loved every minute and we can’t back to come back and see you again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful but excited you're coming back closer to home!! Have a great trip back home and hope you create lots of great memories. Remember a similar drive we took almost 13 yrs ago. We still talk about it. xoxo Cindi

    ReplyDelete