Sunday, April 12, 2009

Girl Interrupted

Whew. What a week. You know those times when it just seems like everything is harder than it ought to be? Yeah, that’s pretty much where I’m at. Work is beyond out of control, I’ve been swamped with technology “issues” while said workload makes it the worst possible time to be sidelined without my PC, and, of course, there’s the whole broken toes/recovering from surgery fiasco.

For the most part I’ve been able to hold on to my sense of humor in the midst of it, but I’d be lying if I said that I haven’t had my moments where it just seems like TOO MUCH to deal with. Really.

I’m struggling to keep my head above water. And I’m treading water with one foot.

But no sob story here—I know that each of you have been where I am now at one point or another, and in this fun little thing called life we’ll all be here again.

On the one hand, all of the daily chaos has made it difficult to spend time reflecting on Easter and all that it means (I know I usually keep things on here pretty light, but let there be no question that my faith is the most important thing in my life). On the other hand, though, I’ve felt especially tied to the season and able to relate to the suffering of Christ. Don’t get me wrong—I know my little turmoil is less than one of the strikes he endured as he was tortured for my sin. But it still makes it easier for me to relate than the happy-go-lucky times I am blessed to usually enjoy.

I’m a huge fan of A Slice of Infinity and a few days ago there was a devotional that still has me thinking. It focused on Simon of Cyrene—the guy that was just minding his own business on a little trip when he was plucked from the crowd and forced to carry Jesus’ cross on the way to the crucifixion.

He was minding his own business when his plans got tossed aside and his vacation was (very rudely) interrupted. By the cross. And his life was never the same.

I’m so grateful that the cross completely interrupted my life, too. I know that I tend to dwell on the interruptions caused by the crazy chaos that can easily consume my daily activities…work, technology snafus, and freak accidents that seemingly turn my life upside down.

But the groovy thing is, that when I feel like I’ve completely lost my balance and am swept away by one of life’s floods, it’s the cross that anchors me. It’s the cross that helps me know which way is up. It’s the cross that rescues me over and over again.

There was a time when I was doing things my own way, pretty much just minding my own business living life with the status quo. And the cross came along and completely changed everything. It ruined me for an ordinary life as I came to know and experience the most amazing love of a Father who sacrificed everything for me. ME. And you. YOU.

Who says interruptions have to be bad?

The power of the cross is personal. Jesus didn’t just die for some collective whole. He knows us each intimately and he allowed His own life to be interrupted so each one of us could have something so much better than we deserve.

As I celebrate Easter this year I am unspeakably grateful for the hope that there is so more much to life than the daily grind. I am unspeakably grateful for the grace that secures that hope and promises that one day my life will REALLY be interrupted and replaced with joy that’s beyond what I could ever imagine.

That whole eternal life in Heaven thing?

It’s going to be pretty great.

Hope to see you there!

“I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” (Romans 8:18)


2 comments:

  1. Really like this post - well written and a good reminder to be thankfull for His sacrifice for us all - kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that! I feel the same way and I too look forward to that wonderful day in Heaven. You put it just right!!

    Leslie Greene
    (I have to post anonymous...for some reason it won't take my google username/password).

    ReplyDelete