Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"Life is a Dance"

I have to start this week's recap by saying that I think I might have been a little on the girls in the past week. I stand by my opinion that Shannon has exhibited alarming stalker tendencies, but don't want to cross the line with my little blog to being mean. So I'll work on that. :-)

I love the hometown dates! I always love this part of the season because we get so much insight into the girls' lives. And I'm so intrigued by how the parents respond to being dragged in to this alternate reality of TV dating. I always get a good chuckle imagining how my own parents would fare in this situation. I know y'all can't fully appreciate that...but trust me that it would be (as Laura would say) HI-larious! Seriously.

I'll dive in with a general comment--Attention Jason's Stylist! Did they give you the week off?Did Jason's luggage get lost and force him to shop at a local big box store? I was so thrown by the gray Haynes-esque t-shirt that he wore with Jillian and appeared to be wearing again under his sweater with Melissa. Surely we can do better than this! At least he did have the nicer button down on when delivering that horrifying, er, touching, eulogy. More on that in a sec.

Jillian's Date. We think Jillian is adorable, smart, sassy and deep. Her date completely cemented that and her coat was so cute that her own white t-shirt didn't bother me. Her family was endearing and I think she's making it through to the final two. She's great. Her mother's poem was, undoubtedly, over the top...but it did set the theme for the doves that Naomi's mom so nicely ties to later. And it gave me a title for this post. Her dress at the rose ceremony, once again, rocked. Great taste, this one! If nothing else she's a good match for J because he needs her fashion savvy.

Naomi's Date. Wow...I don't even know where to start. Given that I think my own family would be, uh, entertaining, in this situation I need to tread lightly, but I feel certain that no parents I am acquainted with would open with hula hoops and then follow that up with a dead dove. Seriously. SERIOUSLY?? I can't even wrap my brain around that. And then poor dad straight up shares the Gospel (which I completely appreciate on the one hand, and yet the timing/setting was so less than idea--and did you notice the row of slot machines in the background??). So he's interrupted by the mom who wants to talk to him about reincarnation. (Insert that annoying sound that's like a record scratching). Uh...what?! It was so much of a paradox that the whole thing seemed like a dip into the twilight zone. Made me feel a rush of compassion for Naomi, though. But not enough to think he should keep her around. Her exit was no surprise...a bit overdue, even.

Molly's Date. What was up with the VERY nonchalant way that she greeted him at the golf course? She was cute as a button but seemed really off the whole time. And again with the over the top mother! I appreciate that Jason was a great sport with the crazy hats...not to mention the very monitored art project. No pressure there! My favorite line of the night was when her dad told her that if she doesn't make it to the end to not cry in the limo. Classic!

Melissa's Date. I was a little distracted on this one by the constant melody of an old ad jingle running through my head. Any guesses which one? Sing it with me! "Who wear's short shorts? We wear short shorts! If you dare wear short shorts, Nair for short shorts!" Melissa: we get it...you have great legs. At this point, though, the constant short shorts are crossing over to the side of the block that isn't usually referred to as "classy". Jason had on jeans and a long-sleeve t-shirt (albeit another chintzy one) and she's running around in those shorts and a tank top. It just didn't work for me. But...I can let it go because I really did feel sorry for her. If her best friends have barely even met her family and don't know much about them, there's a story there and it's probably not a good one. She made the cut this week, but I think her days are numbered.

So I just don't know what to think about DeAnna still not being back. She's going to crash the fantasy dates?? That just seems wrong. Deliciously entertaining...but wrong. It was hard to tell if she's coming next week or when he's down to the final two. That would just be cruel. But I can't deny that it would make for excellent "reality" TV.

I watched last night with Laura at her house and her hubby Dave came home around the time of the rose ceremony. While he obviously thinks we're crazy, he joined us and we tried to bring him up to speed on who's who and what's what. Then he looked over, and with what can only be described as incredulous horror asked "Are you taking NOTES?" After wiping away the laughter-induced tears, I had to admit that yes, I was taking notes. I feel a duty to you, my 3-ish readers, to be accurate and thorough. I take this blogging thing very seriously.

And Dave...if Laura convinced you to read this...thanks for indulging us. And thanks for making sure my fellow Bachelor-obsessed friend can watch with me each week!

No comments:

Post a Comment