Monday, September 10, 2012

A Place to Call Home


Well…so much for doing a great job of blogging all summer and documenting the pregnancy. In my defense, we did have a few things going on with the move and a new job for Matt and, well, getting ready for this baby girl to get here. I had grand intentions to write about how overwhelming it is to register. To share some of the joy of celebrations for Eliza with friends. To share some of the thoughts and feelings that have been part of this journey.

Yeah. Guess that didn’t happen.

So now here we are one week away from meeting our girl. I’m having a baby next week. At the latest. That more than blows my mind! I’m going to tackle how I really feel about that in another post (I promise!) and use this one to share some of preparations.

So we bought a house and moved in! Matt was still job searching when we moved which ended up being perfect—he was completely available for all of my honey do’s. We’re really happy with the house and have enjoyed getting to entertain again. (Have I mentioned lately how lucky I am to have a husband who loves to cook? And he’s so freaking good at it.)

The most fun, though, has been the nursery. It was so much more than just decorating a room in the house. It was so fun to put together the part of our home that will belong to our daughter. Rather than explaining it, I thought I show you in pictures.

The before picture--don't be fooled by thinking that paint is pale. It was beyond pepto and this just doesn't do it justice.

Proud papa getting painting the room with his usual gusto. We painted it "Cool Jazz" from  Behr. It's kind of a Tiffany blue in person.

This armoire belonged to my grandparents. My grandmother painted it back in the 70's and after they passed away I asked for it because I thought it would be so perfect in a little girl's room. Good thing we're having a girl! We replaced the original hardware with glass pulls.

Hanging pictures

The finished room! This is the view from the door.

The art for her name was really my only creative project in the room. I took the fabrics we were using and wrapped 12x12 art canvases and then attached the letters. I love how it turned out! 

We're going to make a few changes on the shelves after we get some pictures back, but I love her book shelf and toys.

Details of the prints over the crib. They're from JustBunch on Etsy.

Detail of the valance. I ordered it and the crib skirt from ThePinCushion on Etsy.

I love this armoire so much!

So this is really my favorite room in the house--her closet!! I just love all those little clothes! I guess the bow board is a second creative project I painted. I'm going to have to add longer ribbon, though, for all those sweet bows.

The view from the closet.

We're really pleased with how it all came together. It's all done and ready to use now...all we need is for her to get here and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment